Wednesday, March 10, 2010

With the tad bit of warmer weather we have had this past week comes the desire for me to start planning on where to make a garden and to find out if I can house a few laying hens and a group of boilers.
I have done TONS of reading on the care of these chickens I am so wanting to have.....and I think I can make it happen. I only need maybe 5 laying hens to produce enough eggs for us. The Cornish Cross are what I want to get for my meat. These mature in 90 days or less so this could be a perfect fit for me. With the exception of the process to harvest the meat. I am thinking that I will just have to break down and pay the meat locker to dress my chickens.
Yes I am a big baby for sure!!!


Now for the garden....I met a fella once that had his garden growing in water with no soil. It was possibly the most interesting gardening set-up I have seen. It has been about 10yrs since I last talked to this person and I so want to mimic his garden. So raise a glass and wish me luck to my version of a hydro-ponic garden. As I plan and begin building I will be posting pics and let you all know how it is going.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm afraid that my family would become too attached to anything that my turn up on their plates.

    I hear that ever since our state approved the medicinal marijuanna, getting hydroponic growing supplies has become easier and plentiful. Yea. At least there's that.

    ReplyDelete